how to make others understand Fedora Project?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 16 15:53:52 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> I saw that there is a lot of missunderstanding of fedora and it's
> goals. It saw that this has been talked about a lot in Fedora Board
> meetings. But how to go practically and explain to other fedora and
> non-fedora users this.
>
> As an example look at this thread I started:
> http://linuxoutlaws.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=593&start=30&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

This isn't just a matter of perception though that plays a big part. The
fundamental issue here seems to be quality including making the right
decisions initially as well as continue to be regression free as much as
possible post release. Looking at Fedora 9, there is a cost to bringing
in new technologies (Xorg 7.4, KDE 4 etc). KDE 4 has increasingly got
bad press and that is going to rub off on Fedora 9 quite a bit. We
aren't going to convert Fedora into a very conservative distribution
suddenly but the situation can be improved.

Post-release we have had atleast one major screwup of breaking encrypted
wireless in a kernel security update.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-kernel-list/2008-July/msg00017.html

While we have changed the policies to adopt, every release has a few of
these. I am hoping Red Hat focuses on getting automated tests running
for beaker on a daily basis for all the updates we ever push out
including for rawhide

http://fedorahosted.org/beaker

Meanwhile there are other manual QA activities including test cases and
bug triaging which can help quite a bit

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Test_Cases
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers

I am trying to see if we can fix our response time to be better via

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram/CollectiveMaintenance

Rahul