news.fedoraproject.org

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:33:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:04 -0600, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> We've been talking for a while about setting up a news.fedoraproject.org
> site, for a number of different uses. Thanks to the hard work of Frank
> Chiulli we now have a test install of Lyceum on publictest 1 for our use :)
> Before moving forward with this, we need to deal with a number of issues:
>
> 1) What do we actually want to use the site for?
>
> My thoughts are that we use it for Fedora Weekly News, along with other
> marketing stuff such as interviews and announcements - similar to what
> press.redhat.com is.

Agreed, and it doesn't ever hurt to reaggregate stuff either.

> 2) Depending on the above, do we want to use Lyceum or Wordpress? Infra
> would like us to have whatever solution we use packaged and yumable on
> Fedora; Wordpress is already in while Lyceum needs packaging. As I
> understand it Lyceum allows us to have multiple blogs and is what's used by
> Red Hat Magazine. Wordpress only allows for the one blog, but would also
> allow multiple authors/editors on a single blog (I think).

One thing I would like to see, and which I mentioned to Seth Vidal at
FUDCon in Raleigh in January, was a way for us to offer blogs as a
service to our account holders.

The HTTPS work that Frank has done was probably a key action in making
that possible, but I'm not sure exactly how close that gets us.

It wouldn't be too hard for us to act as an OpenID provider for our
account holders either, which is another nice way of advertising and
pushing open standards.