Fedora private mirrors for Sri Lanka

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 03:43:00 UTC 2008

> Currently I'm handling Free-media project for Sri Lanka, and Maintaining
> Sinhala language for the Fedora.

Great job!!!

> I have proposed to Sri Lanka Linux community to have private mirrors on each
> and every university.
> Its the 1st phase. As the the 2nd phase putting Fedora mirror on the Sri
> Lanka School-net, thats is the official VPN for all the schools in Sri
> Lanka.

Thats is a very nice idea. Hope we can replicate it here too.

> Please provide a rough idea of space, connectivity and bandwidth assuming a
> test case like this.
>
> you host latest stable release

[root at mirror ~]# du -h /var/www/html/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/ | tail -n 1
69G     /var/www/html/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/
[root at mirror ~]# du -h /var/www/html/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/ | tail -n 1
18G     /var/www/html/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/

> synchronize every two weeks
Around 2-3Gbs but may vary according to times update pushed.
(Total for i386 and x86_84)

> 100 regular users per university

Thats a tricky question.
If you have a mirror at each university, then that will cater to all
the internal needs.
And if you do restrict serving only to your country there should not
be too much external traffic.
(If you don't, expect *all* bandwidth to be consumed, no matter how
big your pipe is.)
We have a public mirror here and we got 1 million requests in 12 days !!!

[root at mirror ~]# cat /var/log/messages|grep vsftpd|grep CONNECT|wc -l
1051827
[root at mirror ~]# uptime
 13:31:05 up 11 days, 19:11,  2 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.48, 0.36

--
Regards,
Susmit.

ssh