[Fwd: Re: F10 artwork questions]

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Oct 16 13:38:17 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 22:48 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>>
>> Seems strange though that we're possibly going to be using lines like
>> this for marketing when the release is called Cambridge. Maybe it's
>> time we tried to unify the release name with the artwork?
>
> A very old discussion.  We keep aiming for this goal, but sometimes the
> themes come in from new people; if the theme is too good to pass up I
> suspect we'll end up in this boat again.  I'd rather have an attractive
> theme than a matching theme, personally, although having both would be a
> bonus! :-)

There are two problems:
- schedule: even if the selection of the release name was moved near to
the development cycle start trying to help the Art team, it still was
quite late;
- for F9 we really tried such a tie, integrating sulphur crystals in the
graphics, but the feed-back was negative so we took it down at the last
minute. You can't link a good theme with any name (Cambridge is also
tough from this point of view - use a stylised version of the
university? a science lab? - not many options).