This Weekend

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 14 13:01:22 UTC 2009

Max Spevack wrote:

> Given all of the context now available in this thread, Rahul, do you:
>
> a) feel like we were clear enough about doing this in public?  (For the
> record, I believe that we were very clear about it in the context of the
> marketing meetings, but if you hadn't heard about it until Jack's email,
> then something fell through the cracks.)

Not your fault. I just haven't been attending the marketing meetings or
reading through the logs much.

> b) feel like there is anything either wrong, or missing, from the list?

Not sure which ones to highlight more but I can go with the following
broader themes and categorize the features including but not limited to
the key things in the feature list.

------------

* Desktop -  Presto (delta rpms), Ext4, 20 second bootup,  Guest user
account by default in GNOME (via xguest), KMS improvements (Intel by
default which means among other things pretty graphics via plymouth,
Nvidia - easy on, AMD already supported in Fedora 10 but improved in
Fedora 11)

Improvements in system-config-printer at
http://cyberelk.net/tim/2009/02/03/screenshots-system-config-printer-11/

SELinux troubleshooter has been partially rewritten in C and the
separate boot service has been dropped resulting in much improved
performance

http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/26053.html

Automatic fonts  Volume Control, Nouveau (instead of nv 2d driver. 3d
support is disable since it is not mature enough) IBus instead of SCIM
input method by default,  ABRT (automatic desktop crash handler),
DeviceKit DRI2 (GL + compiz essentially), rpm 4.7 ((much improved
performance and memory footprint). ), Firefox 3.1, Thunderbird 3.0,
gnome 2.26, kde 4.2, xfce 4.6, x server 1.6.

* Developers - Windows cross compiler (Mingw + lots of cross compiled
libraries which is unique), Eclipse profiling tools, debuginfofs, archer
(gdb devel branch) . Python 2.6, GCC 4.4,  tigervnc

* Security - Svirt, stronger hashes, dns security extensions,  cups
policykit integration,  dbus policy changes, system services security
daemon, fingerprint improvements, pam gdm changes.

* Enterprise - active directory interoperability via openchange, control
groups,  power management improvements, minimal anaconda installation,
minimal text installer. Anaconda storage rewrite. Ext4 is important for
enterprise too. GFS2, Much of developer and security stuff is of
interest here as well. Supporter arch changes and esp kernel changes

http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/2009/02/09/fedora-kernel-packaging/

* Virtualization - Improve console (screenshots at
http://blog.wikichoon.com/2009/02/virt-manager-in-fedora-11-new-vm-wizard.html)
 , vnc auth, KVM PCI device assignment, svirt

------------

Now If I had to pick a few, I would highlight these in no particular
order.  They show leadership, uniqueness and ability to drive
fundamental changes throughout many upstream projects and distribution
level improvements as well.

Highlights:

----

Ext4, presto, guest user account, 20 sec startup, volume control, new
virt-manager with improved console, system-config-printer changes,
openchange, control groups, windows cross compiler, desktop crash
handler, KMS improvements, Nouveau by default,  openchange, svirt, new
text mode installer, rpm 4.7

----

Hope that helps.

Rahul