[Fedora-music-list] sound card order in fc9

Tue Sep 16 17:23:02 UTC 2008

I'm trying to find out how to change the default order of the sound
cards in Fedora 9 (_not_ account by account or using pulseaudio, just a
global change so that soundcard modules are always loaded in the order I
define). Googling was of no use (no threads where someone answers the
original question in a meaningful way).

Would someone please enlighten me??

This is what the release notes have to say:

"The system-config-soundcard utility has been removed, due to numerous
legacy design and implementation issues. Modern technologies, including
udev and the HAL, have made certain sound cards work out of the box. Any
sound card not working out of the box should be reported as a bug.
Preferences can still be fine-tuned within the desktop environment,
using, among others, the PulseAudio tools."

Which does not seem to include what I need.

I find some "magic" in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist. Who writes it
there? What do I need to do to change the order?

Lately I keep bumping into "downgrades" of functionality like this one.
It is becoming more and more difficult to just configure things. I'm
really getting frustrated. Lots of wasted time for doing what used to be
"easy".

-- Fernando