Neighborhood View follies

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Mar 7 23:56:07 UTC 2009

>> It's one thing to have current Sugar not supporting the mesh.  What
>> I think is salt in the wound is that 'iwconfig msh0 mode' is not
>> supported (it defaults to 'Repeater'), but 'iwconfig msh0 channel'
>> *is* supported.
>
> I don't understand this message.  What are you trying to achieve with
> "iwconfig msh0 mode"?  The eth0 device should be used to set ad-hoc
> vs. managed mode, because setting those doesn't make sense for a mesh.

I know that the same /radio chip/ is used by both mesh and wifi.
What is not clear in my mind is how much of the "driver software"
(as seen by an user sitting at a console) gets to be shared between
the mesh interface ('msh0', which uses one set of radio messaging
protocols) and the wifi interface ('eth0', which I suspect uses a
different set of radio messaging protocols).

My motivation came from reading someplace or other that 'Repeater'
mode means "do not originate information" (i.e. only do "relaying").
  It seemed odd to me that if I want to facilitate collaboration
over 'msh0', then I would have to mess with (setting mode on) 'eth0'.

mikus