[Fedora-packaging] Conflicts Draft Proposal

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Dec 6 13:20:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 11:26 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Conflicts

"library name conflicts: Put the library in a subdirectory of /usr/lib
or /lib and include a ld.so.conf file."

The ld.so.conf part does not sound good to me.  While it would avoid the
low level conflict, doesn't adding the new subdir to ld.so.conf mean
that we now have two different libs with the same name in the linker's
default path - which one to load in which situations?  I suppose instead
of global ld.so.conf, RPATH in apps that require the subdir'd lib would
be a better solution, but hopefully someone can point out an even better
one?