[Fedora-packaging] removal of pre-built files

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jun 19 04:39:37 UTC 2009

Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Toshio asked me to write up a proposal for clarification of the
> removal of pre-built binaries. I came up with two proposals. I'd like
> to have them considered and voted separately.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Removal_of_pre-built_binaries
>
> Any comments, suggestions welcome.

Hmm, both proposals are causing me head-aches, because they are trying
to extend the FPG to cover topics this FPG was trying to _intentionally_
leave open.

Let me try to elaborate: This section is aiming at prohibiting shipping
prebuilt _Linux_ binaries (applications and libraries). It doesn't aim
at prohibiting shipping prebuild "other binaries", such as package
documentation, images or movies or sound files.

A requirement to rebuild the later has never existed in Fedora.
They should be "rebuildable", if appropriate/feasible/neccessary for
proper operation, but this was essentially left to the discretion of
individual packagers and individual packages' demands

That said, if there is something which I consider to be in need of
further refinement, then its the definition of "binary" as being used in
this section of the FPG.

Ralf