[Fedora-packaging] Digging up an old dead thread ...

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Wed Jun 24 20:24:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:57:16 +0200
steve <steve at lonetwin.net> wrote:

...snip...

> Umm ...ok. I accept that the Code Vs. Content is the right thing to
> do for "Fedora -- the distribution".
>
> The question i was asking is, would an alternate non-distribution
> specific repo for cc-content be something Fedora would be interested
> in doing ? Unless i misunderstood the replies to the thread i
> referenced earlier[1], i think there is some interest in doing this:

I think a number of people think it's a good idea to make CC licensed
content easily available to Fedora users, but it's unclear to me at
least how best to do this:

1. First. What would be acceptable? Anything under a acceptable license
to Fedora? So, I can make a 100MB package of all the pictures I have
taken of my dogs as long as the license is ok? And can update it weekly
as I take new ones?

2. Is content thats under a Fedora acceptable license, but can't be
read/used by any free tools acceptable? Ie, could someone package a
flash movie?

3. Is rpm the right format for this content? Perhaps it would be better
to get people working on some kind of application/viewer thing that
could hit the various CC content and search and download it easily for
Fedora folks? Why should we package and duplicate this content for just
Fedora users?

4. How would we package some content. Ie, random pictures, or clip art,
or movies. If multiple things in fedora can use them, would they go
into some kind of /usr/share/CC-STUFF/ dir? or what?

5. What about content thats licensed ok, but is
Obscene/Adult/Objectionable/Gross? Who decides those cases? Is there
any review of content? Against what guidelines?

I personally think trying to get people involved in making a app that
would easily search/download/use properly licensed content would be a
better way to approach things than to try and (re)package everything
in rpms, but perhaps I could be convinced otherwise.

> cheers,
> - steve

kevin