[Fedora-packaging] Java packaging questions about rpmlint messages

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Jun 28 22:48:35 UTC 2009

I am working on packaging a java game and have a couple of rpmlint messages
that I am not sure if I can ignore.

One is an error for having no binaries. I thought the java stuff was somewhat
arch dependent, so I thought my resulting jar file should be arch dependent
and that overriding the buildarch would be a bad idea?

The second is a warning for including a classpath in the manifest. The original
package is setup to have a class path point to a library with a few included
jar files. Only one of these jars is needed and is already packaged for
Fedora. For the build process I override the property saying where the libs
are to point to the Fedora jar directory. But this gets left in the manifest.
To run the program I have a shell script that includes the two jar files
and gives the class name to run. So while not being able to give a usable
classpath on the java command line is annoying, it isn't a big deal in this
case. Is this out and out broken? Is there a way to do it better without
having to do too much customization of the original projects build.xml
file? (ant is used to do the build.)