Naming convention flames

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Fri Apr 2 15:36:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 10:21 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > > access control purposes (e.g. system_u).
> > >
> > > Sounds like /etc/group to me.
> >
> > Ok, let's say you have users john, jane, doe, and poe
> >
> > then you have groups like:
> > staff:x:n:john,jane,doe
> >
> > and file xpto:
> >
> > -rw-rw-r--  1 john staff 3399 Mar  9 00:40 xpto
> >
> > How do you forbid doe from writing on xpto?
> >
> > That's an example of what SELinux brings you, in terms of permissions.
> > You can explictly say xpto can't be written by doe.
>
> on the other hand, why should you be *allowed* to prevent doe from
> writing on xpto?  you've explicitly made doe part of the staff group,
> and you've explicitly given the staff group write permission on that
> file.  seems like these regular perms are doing exactly what they're
> *supposed* to be doing, no?

No. doe might be a junior staff member, for instance.

Other instance I didn't say:

How do you make poe be able to write to the file without making him a
member of group staff or making the file world writable?

Rui

> unless i've totally misread what you were getting at.

You must've missed the point of ACLs. This is very important in terms of
security, and if I had this when I installed some systems a couple of
years ago, I wouldn't need toying around with intermediate users to
avoid direct +w permissions from some users to certain files that can't
be +w for some others.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?