denied execheap, for httpd with zend optimizer (fc5)

Jaak Simm jaaksimm at firm.ee
Tue May 23 08:13:41 UTC 2006

Hi again,

Can anyone verify that Zend Optimizer generates a execheap denial in
FC5? Or is it just my problem? Zend Optimizer is needed to run binary
php code, which is common for commercial php projects.

Simple steps to install Zend Optimizer and verify the problem:
0. you have to have httpd and php installed (yum install httpd php)

1. Download and unpack Zend Optimizer 3
    http://www.zend.com/products/zend_optimizer
    (requires a zend.com user, which can be created  for free at the
download site)

2. Run ./install in the unpacked dir of Zend Optimizer
    It will ask few questions, but defaults should be fine.

3. Allow execheap, give zend files correct security context, and remove
their execstack requirement:
    setsebool allow_execheap 1
    chcon -t httpd_modules_t -u system_u `find /usr/local/Zend/lib/
-name \*.so`
    execstack -c `find /usr/local/Zend/lib/ -name \*.so`

4. restart httpd:
    service httpd restart

5. check /var/log/messages (whether an avc execheap denial occured, when
httpd restarted)

Send an e-mail to the list or to me with your results. If it is a common
problem, then I'll report a bug.

Regards,
Jaak