console.perms + <xconsole> + init 3 problem

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Mon Aug 4 22:00:05 UTC 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:01:13PM +0200, Peter Backlund wrote:
> I wasn't very clear about it, but I do consider this to be a bug. If you boot
> to runlevel 3, log in and start X, you don't get ownership of the nvidia*
> devices (which is needed to run OpenGL applications).
>
> So, should it post it to Bugzilla, or my reasoning way off?

The whole point of the difference between <console> and <xconsole>
is to separate X from non-X logins.

I think this is an "operating outside the scope of the design of
the system" issue.  At least, a solution to this is not a quick
hack to move something from <xconsole> to <console>; rather, I
would think it's thinking about the design of the system and
looking for a better way.

MHO, others may disagree.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/