Realplayer One (was - Re: Real Player 8 works ... Surprised... Other Multimedia

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Sun Aug 10 22:22:50 UTC 2003

On August 10, 2003 03:06 pm, Patrick <severn at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 20:15, Elton Woo wrote:
> > I don't understand why people still insist on using Real Player 8 when
> > RealOne (aka Real Player 9) works so well with linux (*including*
> > Red Hat Severn.
>
> Hi Elton,
>
> Just tried it out for the fun of it and it segfaults big time on my
> Severn box. The little intro sound is cut off at an early stage. Maybe
> it's shabby nvidia nforce2 sound support, dunno. It's an Asus A7N8X
> Deluxe mobo. Clearly it doesn't work well for everybody :)
>
>From what I've seen here and on the shrike list, onboard sound (i.e. built
into the motherboard) has been a cause of much problems. FWIW, I'm
running my old trusty Ensoniq 64 PCI card, and I get sound with CD's
DVD's, RealPlayer, etc.

My preference for the Real One player is that it has a cleaner, lighter
interface. The only 'negative' is that I cannot run it as an internal
browser plugin, but it runs quite happily as an external helper application.

As per my previous post, the fact that Real Networks is now going
open source, bodes well for us "penguins"!

Elton ;-)