APT, Yum and Red Carpet

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue Aug 12 13:11:56 UTC 2003

Quoting Pavel Rozenboim <pavelr at coresma.com>:

> I found yum to be much slower comparing to apt. On the other hand, apt
> sometimes finds some non-existing dependancies, and wants to remove some
> packages, when is not required.

No, apt doesn't imagine up dependencies, the difference comes from the fact that
apt requires rpmdb consistency at all times, others don't care as long as the
transaction at hand gets it dependencies satisfied.

Suppose you have libfoo and libfoo-devel installed. Do "rpm -e --nodeps libfoo"
and try to install something unrelated.
Apt will refuse to do anything unless you fix the libfoo-devel -> libfoo
dependency first, or the dependency will be fixed as part of the next operation.
Yum, anaconda and up2date wont care.

--
    - Panu -