APT, Yum and Red Carpet

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 23:13:24 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 01:07:22PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> > But in the short term, yum is now part of severn.  Since it will be the
> > default with the system, it will eventually become the standard.  As
> > soon as RH offers the chance for people to create repositories, the
> > number of public repositories will explode.  By the time we decide for a
> > standard, yum repositories would have become the defacto standard.
>
> This is one of the exact reasons why we've started figuring out a
> standard repository format for all pkg tools. I don't care if yum is a
> 'standard' or not. I'd like it to be reasonable for me to keep on
> developing yum w/o having to mess about with 4 different repository
> formats on a mirror. From what I can tell the ximian, red hat and apt
> people agree. So we're working on consensus to solve our problems
> together.

  Standard are best done as data format or protocols. Standardizing
on API is dangerous. Standardizing on tools is just bad practice >:->
Seth approach is the Right one IMHO, the one ensuring interoperability
and then tools can then compete for being the best from an user need point
of view and in an open field.

Daniel