new up2date available (with apt/yum repo support)

Adrian Likins alikins at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 17:48:41 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 05:53:09PM +0200, Féliciano Matias wrote:
> Le mer 13/08/2003 à 05:14, Adrian Likins a écrit :
> > New up2date packages for testing available at:
> > http://people.redhat.com/~alikins/up2date/severn/
> >
> > Most notable new feature is support for 3rd party
> > apt and yum repositories. See the included
> > /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file for info
> > on how to configure them.
> >
> > It's definately still got some rough edges,
> > but hopefully will at least work most of
> > the time ;->
> >
> > Most of the rest of the changes are just
> > multilib related and should be mostly
> > transparent.
>
> up2date version : 3.9.6
>
> A little /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources :
> dir base /var/RH/9.0.93/os/i386
> dir rawhide /var/RH/rawhide/os/i386
>
> No "up2date default" line.

	Thats completely untested.

> I remove old files in /var/spool/up2date .
>
> The "Channels" window show "redhat-linux-severn-i386-9.0.93". I uncheck
> this channel.
>
> This take more than 4 minutes to have the "Available Package Update"
> window and no progress bar.

	Yup. It's reading the header file for every package in
those directorys. Hooking up progress callbacks in all the approriate
places is on the TODO list (though filing a bug wouldnt hurt)

> Cancel the action and change /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to use yum
> repository :
> yum base /var/RH/9.0.93/yum/os/i386
> yum rawhide /var/RH/rawhide/yum/os/i386
>

> New try, errors :
>     channelTimeStamp = time.strptime(oldVersion,"%Y%m%d%H%M%S")
> ValueError: format mismatch

	You used the same channel label for two different sources.
The channel label determines what filename the repo info gets cached
in, so you read the dir channels with the yum channel reader. Which
doesnt make it sense, but it also means the dirRepo is using a
different timestamp format than the yum repos (ie, a bug).

> Now some ideas.
>
> Permit to have multiple entries for the same repository like yum :
> man yum.conf :
>        baseurl
>               must be a url to the directory where the yum repository’s ’head-
>               ers’ directory lives.  Can be an http://, ftp:// or file:// url.
>               You can specify multiple urls in one baseurl statement. The best
>               way to do this is like this:
>               [serverid]
>               name=Some name for this server
>               baseurl=url://server1/path/to/repository/
>                       url://server2/path/to/repository/
>                       url://server3/path/to/repository/

	Hmm, maybe. I'd really rather keep the config format
simple for now, at least till I finish modularizing the repo
support.

> Put /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources in a directory. If possible in a
> "neutral" directory. For example /etc/rpm-repositories.d/
>
> If yum/apt/synaptic are able to parse file in /etc/rpm-repositories.d/
> the user have the choice of the tool without editing multiple files.
>
> This can be useful for third party like freshrpms/fedora. They don't
> need to provide a specific yum package already supply with RHLP.

	thats an interesting idea. I might look into that. Only
probabaly there is ordering.

> Perhaps freshrpms can create freshrpms-release-9.0.93 package with :
> /etc/rpm-repositories.d/freshrpms
> And some over useful informations :
> /usr/share/doc/freshrpms-9.0.93/README MANIFESTO GPG-KEY
>
> This could also be used to update mirrors list when doing regular
> updates.
>
> What bug/RFE i should put in bugzilla ?

	Most sound like valid RFE's. Dont know how many will
make cambridge, but be nice to get them recorded.

Adrian