external repositories (Re: RH Decisions)

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 07:53:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 05:51, Phillip Compton wrote:

> > > Have you considering using subversion ?
> >
> > It's been considered. One advantage of CVS is that it lowers the entry
> > barrier for those wanting to view/checkout/etc.
> >
> > Bill
>
> As RHL9, and TNV (presumably RHL10) ship with subversion, is the barrier
> that high? There is also the web interface, which has no real barrier
> for entry.

IIRC, older subversion clients aren't compatible to newer subversion
servers so you would have to provide newer subversion packages for RHL9.

I'd love to use subversion, but it still has some deficiencies over CVS:

- Missing "svn obliterate". If you really have to delete something
completely and permanently from the repository (as in "when a court
orders you to do so", I'll leave it to your imagination why that could
be), you can do it in CVS easily -- just remove the file from the
repository. With subversion, all is in a database so it would be very
tedious if not impossible to accomplish this.

- Missing "svn annotate".

I'd say that we should wait a bit, as we can easily cvs2svn the stuff
when we feel the time has come to use subversion.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com