Severn Beta2 [Novell Ximian and upgrades]

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at columbus.rr.com
Tue Aug 19 02:14:08 UTC 2003

Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> I think this will be a 'mute' argument with the acquisition of Ximian by
> Novell, and the fact that Novell has said that they will be developing
> their own distro.. and that Ximian welcomed this because they could
> focus their efforts more.
>
> Of course I am going from sentance long quotes from memory.. so I dont
> know how accurate it is :)
>
> On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 09:59, Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I certainly agree that Redhat shouldn't be held responsible other
>>company's packages, but to say they "shouldn't worry" about Ximian ends up
>>amounting to saying they "shouldn't worry" about their customers.

It would probably do Novell, ximian a lot of good to develop their own
distribution. for them to bridge distributions seems like a splintering
approach to keep several different program versions, with departing
independent developmental efforts, between maintained SuSE, RedHat,
Debian or whatever else distributions.

It does sound like GNOME might be less splintered if they changed their
libs to match the most dependable and working departures into their
bridged GNOME offerings. It seems that their channelings have made XD2
to be attrivtive to a lot of different GNOME users with different
favored distribution selections.

Either way, I hope that novell leads ximian and novell into cutting down
the 95 % windows usage to a little under 50 % (doubtful, but novell
deserves the recoup, from the active directory theft, from the M$ corp)

Jim

--
The Second Law of Thermodynamics:
	If you think things are in a mess now, just wait!