Minimal Install Option

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Fri Aug 22 01:48:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 19:39, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> Bill Anderson wrote:
> >Given the comments on DHCP client, here is the new list I propose:
>
> So...making the leap of faith assumption that this list of packages to
> "fix" the current minimal install option is a best effort attempt.
>
> Some basic questions follow...how much smaller is this really making the
> minimal harddrive footprint?

I Don't know, I'm about minimizing the software, not necessarily the
space used.

> And is anyone willing to build up a prototype comps.xml file associated
> this initial "correction" list, that doesn't break the other currently
> available install types?

I am working on modifying the comps.xml file, indeed already have a
couple of patches, depending on the choices made.

Since these changes take place *only* in the Minimal group, they will
*only* affect that group, no other group requires Minimal that I have
seen yet [quick double-check] yes, this group is not required by any
other group. OS changes to *this* group affect *only* this group.

Minimal install is not a Type of install, it is a group you select. I
see Types as "Server", "Workstation", etc..

Right now, I am working ona  python script that explores a given group
and determines a package list for the entire group. With this, my goal
is (initially) to be able to have it take the Mandatory, and later
Default, options in the group, list them, and then follow it's group
requirements and do the same up the tree (all the way to Core).

However, I am also working on my wife's OOo install right now, so it
will be later tonight.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773