Cleaning up dependency hell

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Sun Aug 24 18:25:40 UTC 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

>One example of this is midnight commander as someone pointed out.
>mc requires XFree86-libs.  Someone out there might want to have
>mc installed on a system completely devoid of X, and will never
>be using mc inside X on that system.  They might not even have a
>mouse attached to the system.  Nonetheless, they have no choice
>but to install XFree86-libs and all of it's dependancies if they
>want to install mc.

I think 2 really cool things that the REALLY open development model can
do is help organize Bug Triage days and also help point out and fix all
these silly dependency chains. Maybe help rewrite spec files that create
truly minimal packages that do not pull in extra dependencies.

Stephen John Smoogen            smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 5-8058
Ta-03 SM-261  MailStop P208 DP 17U  Los Alamos, NM 87545