pam src rpm replaced?

James Olin Oden joden at malachi.lee.k12.nc.us
Sun Aug 24 23:42:35 UTC 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Joel Young wrote:
>
> >> Such macros are almost never useful in Linux OS's
> >> themselves, and they add a large amount of complicated looking
> >> ugliness to spec files.
> >
> >%{__lex} is uglier than /usr/bin/flex ?
>
> Yes, it is.  But I wouldn't use either.  I'd use "flex" as it is
> in the path.

Using things in your path is not necessarily a good idea.   It opens
you up to trojan horses for one.  I much prefer using macros such as
these that point to precise locations of executables (I know the default
rpm macros do not, but they can be overriden to do so).  Also, as hinted
in the parenthetical coments, being able to overide these macros makes
porting from one environment to the next much easier.

Cheers...james