What is minimum RAM to install?

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Mon Aug 25 01:11:12 UTC 2003

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 01:39:26PM -0700, jdow wrote:
> By the way, why is there only an i686 nptl-devel package when it
> appears to be required for glibc-devel and rpmlib?

Because Red Hat only compiles NPTL for i686.

I have glibc RPMs with NPTL for i486 here (for Red Hat 9; it's been too
long since I tried for Rawhide, but I won't have another chance to try
again for at least a couple of weeks):

http://math.uci.edu/~bnathan/linux/glibc/glibc-2.3.2-27.9.2bkn/

The i486 packages seem to work on an i686 box. I no longer have any real
i486 or i586 boxes, and when I posted about this on rpm-list, nobody
with an i586 box ever replied to me. If nobody tries this on a real i586
box, I could try to emulate an i586 one way or another, but that's
another thing I haven't had time to do yet.

(Before you ask, I've noticed that RPM 4.x.y, for values of x >= 1,
seems to be more stable when NPTL is around, and I imagine I will have
to upgrade some i586 boxes (not my own) to Red Hat 9 or later at some
point in the near future.)

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>