Does Adrian up2date allow upgrades from one release to another

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Tue Aug 26 04:27:41 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 13:05, Barry K. Nathan wrote:

> This type of upgrade is not supported by Red Hat, but it's possible. It
> can sometimes be a bit annoying to solve dependency problems that come up
> (basically you have to remove conflicting packages), and there are a few
> other gotchas.  Going from Red Hat 7.x to 9, here are the worst gotchas
> I've encountered:
>
> + You need to update glib2 before pango, or else pango doesn't quite
> install properly.
>
> + You need to "up2date gnome-session" after you've done everything else,
> or else you can't log in using GNOME.
>
> + For some reason, if you didn't install all of the errata for your 7.x
> release, rpm will segfault after RH 9's glibc is installed (and things
> will be *really* hairy!). This doesn't happen if you've applied all of
> the errata for your 7.x release first.

Interesting. That last part is the most curious one.

> For 8.0 to 9:
>
> + You need to update rpm before glibc or else rpm will segfault.
>
> + You need to update glib2 before pango (as with 7.x -> 9).
>
> I have noticed no gremlins of this sort going from 9 to severn.
>
> Overall, this is a considerably more time-consuming method than
> upgrading the normal way. You need to consider whether it outweighs the
> travel time/effort, and how much you need to keep the machine up and
> running during the upgrade (X11 desktop stuff *will* start glitching up
> during the upgrade for anyone sitting at the machine, but servers will
> keep going with no problems, in my experience).

Another means is to do it via yum or apt-get. For me, it is an easier
means for upgrading my XFS based systems.  :)

I've used this to go from 6.2 -> 7.2, it went flawlessly in fact.
Indeed, this system is a mix of 8 and 9, and Arjan's 2.6 test kernels,
using the same basic principle.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773