options for running "switchdesk"?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 28 00:13:38 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Samuel Flory wrote:

>    I believe they mean multiple instances of X.  For example running the
> following:
>
> startx -- :0
> startx -- :1
>
> will start 2 instances of X.

hmmm ... if that's true, it strikes me as a bad idea.  if you imagine a
newcomer to RH and gnome, they may want to experiment with switching
desktops and, if they run that utility, it's unlikely they'll have any
idea what it means to have a second display, or even what it means to
run "startx" at the command line.

more of a problem is that trying to switch to KDE using the gnome menu
utility seems to have no effect whatsoever.  i've now tried it several
times, and it's come back to gnome after every logout.

is there a trick to this?

rday