xterm-179-4 broken

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 28 17:46:44 UTC 2003

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Andre Robatino wrote:
>
> >  Got a fatal error installing the newest xterm package from 8/28, the
> >error upon attempting manual install is:
> >
> >[root at localhost up2date]# rpm -Uvh xterm-179-4.1.i386.rpm
> >warning: xterm-179-4.1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID e418e3aa
> >Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
> >   1:xterm                  ########################################### [100%]
> >error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm: cpio: rename failed - Is a directory
>
> The only way to handle this, is to uninstall the xterm package
> that is installed first, and then install the new one manually.
> This is due to an xterm package update in which there was an
> error, which the new package fixes.  However the correctly fixed
> version can't be installed if the previous buggy package is
> installed.
>
> Anyone who has installed the buggy version of xterm, will get
> this error whenever they upgrade to any newer xterm package, so
> this problem will be seen by some people likely for a while, and
> there isn't anything we can do about it other than tell people to
> uninstall xterm before upgrading it.  It's not something a newer
> xterm package can fix as the bug is in the older package in a way
> that a newer one can't fix as long as the older one is installed.
>
> Please don't anyone file in bugzilla, as it's fixed already,
> however as I mention above, even though it is fixed, you will
> still get this error, until the bad xterm gets flushed out of
> people's systems.

  It was a little more complicated than this, since after getting the
fatal error with up2date, I saw that xterm had already been uninstalled.
However, it left behind the directory
/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
which was no longer owned by any package.  So I had to manually delete it,
then I went into /var/spool/up2date and successfully did a manual install
of the RPM which up2date had already downloaded.  So the steps were:

1) Use up2date to attempt updating xterm, get the above fatal error.
2) Verify that /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm is no longer owned by any package with
rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
3) Remove the directory: rmdir /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
4) Go into /var/spool/up2date and manually install with
rpm -Uvh xterm-179-4.1.i386.rpm