Boot-time hangs using Orinoco silver wireless card

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Wed Dec 10 08:55:46 UTC 2003

I have had my Dell Inspiron 8600 running Fedora, and it has been fine
using a wired ethernet connection. As the internal 802.11b is not
natively supported by Fedora (yet) I fell back to the reliable Orinoco
silver PCMCIA card I have been using for 3 years (RH 6.1 -> 9).

However, about 80% of the time I boot with the Orinoco card, the boot
process hangs just before GDM start, and nothing responds (virtual terms
etc.) until I pop the card out and push it back in, then all is well.

Also, after a number of hours, the wireless card's interface drops, and
again, popping the card out then in fixes it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers, Ben