fc1_x86_64 preview on tyan thunder k8w (S2885ANRF REV .03)

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Thu Dec 11 22:11:26 UTC 2003

Rob Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 13:06, Rob Myers wrote:
>
>>to respond to myself, i tested 8gb of ram and the kernel
>>(2.4.22-1.2129.nptlsmp) only reports 3.5gb.
>>
> well that's because i had the mem=4gb kernel param in there still.
> without that, it shows 7.5gb free.  i am sorry for the misinformation
> earlier.
>
> i still don't understand where the extra half gigabyte of ram disappears
> to, however.

It was sort of explained before by Mark. What was ment is you _cannot_
use the last .5G because it's mapped to PCI.

There may be some trick to move that though. I remember this was a
problem for 32bit too. PCI+kernel took the last 1GB on a 4GB box, so
processes only got 3GB. There were sopme hack to get 3.5GB on those, so
it might be posible to get more on 64bit systems. Maybe only loose 0.25GB?

	-Thomas