What does REDHAT recomend for 3D video card?

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Fri Dec 12 15:26:03 UTC 2003

Stephan Schutter wrote:
> I have seen the X screen savers freeze my PC (open GL ones)... Perhaps

It's a driver issue. Get NVIDIA to fix the driver.

> it is my card? Any way, I was wondering what if redhat were to select a
> system to deploy Fedora on; what would it be? Does Linux like asus

See recommendations from Mike Harris (mharris), the XFree86 maintainer
for Red Hat. I'm pretty sure it would be an older Radeon. He's working
on 2D support for the new cards. I haven't check the DRI list recently
to see how/if newer cards are going.

> better than Abit or NVidia better than ... and so on... what works

What does Asus or Abit (motherboard makers) have to do with NVIDIA (chip
maker)?

Best cards right now are ATI, that use open drivers. Not the newest ones
that require closed drivers. The newer cards and the closed ATI driver
are ok, but same issues as any other closed driver.

	-Thomas