Graphical boot isn't so graphical

Nathan G. Grennan rhl-beta-list at cygnusx-1.org
Thu Jul 24 19:21:30 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 12:03, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 01:29:52PM -0400, Thomas Corriher wrote:
> > Benjamin Vander was correct.  It is the graphical booting which is
> > more likely to cause boot problems, or allow serious problems to go
> > unnoticed during the boot process.  It is a bad design decision
> > from a technical perspective.  However, it is good marketing and
> > seems more welcoming to newbies.
>
> It is not a marketing decision - the boot messages do show up as a
> real usability problem, and usability is one of the primary objectives
> of Red Hat Linux. It is one of our main technical goals.
>
> When something is a usability plus for nontechnical users and a
> usability minus for technical users, we're always going to default
> to the nontechnical setting, because technical users have the skills
> to "opt out" and change the default.

This decision is what pisses many of us off to no end. The problem
really comes into play on a matter of scale. When I have to unsimplify
it on the tenth machine or for the hundredth time it gets frustrating.
The problem is made even more frustrating any time the
"user-friendliness" has a bug in it.