opteron ?

James Ralston qralston+ml.rhl-beta at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jul 22 07:06:45 UTC 2003

On 2003-07-21 at 16:31:53-0700 Jesse Keating <hosting at j2solutions.net> wrote:
> why include any server software in RHL at all?

Because there are approximately 80 billion *desktop* x86 boxes
floating around, and there is a significant number of people who want
to run them as servers for one purpose or another.

The desktop AMD64 chip (the Athlon 64) hasn't been released yet.  Red
Hat will (of course) speak for themselves if they're so inclined, but
if I were in their shoes, I'd wait until the Athlon 64 was officially
released before I dedicated developer effort towards a native AMD64
version of Cambridge and/or Cambridge++.

On 2003-07-21 19:40:49-0400 -0400 seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> In academia opterons are being looked at for computational systems
> NOT servers.

If you want to build inexpensive AMD64 systems, wait until the Athlon
64 is launched.  Opterons are all about building servers.