libuser's LDAP support (was Re: LDAP Performance)

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Thu Jul 24 09:21:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 10:39, Axel Thimm wrote:
> I also think that ldap (user management at least) should become
> standard in RHL. It is possible to run all under ldap, but the ldap
> management tools are missing (that's easy to fix) and the standard
> RH user management tool should support ldap, too.
>
> What is the status of RH tools with respect to that
> (redhat-config-users, useradd)? libuser was already build against ldap
> in RH9. Is there a chance to have more LDAP support in Cambridge?

I'm currently patching/modifying "libuser" to make it fully support
LDAP. The latest version from RawHide works awfully: it tries to invoke
ldap_modify_s to perform operations like adding a user or a group
account, when in fact, it should use ldap_add_s.

Right now, "luseradd" and "lgroupadd" are working perfectly for me.
There are still some rough edges I need to fix. They need some testing
also, I plan to release them for testing into rhl-beta-devel mailing
list for approval.