Graphical boot isn't so graphical

Benjamin Vander Jagt benjaminvanderjagt at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 24 14:25:55 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 19:02, John P. Mitchell wrote:

>     Let me give you a quick example and see what you think. I installed Linux on a computer for my wife who uses
> Windows 2000 and Mac OS X daily. Upon booting up it did the normal thing and all of the normal init script feedback
> slid across the screen. She promptly came back to me and asked what all of that 'garbage' was for. She seemed to think
> that Linux was some kind of half finished 'geek thing' that she did not want to use. So I have a couple of newbie uses
> for the graphical boot. One is to shield users who do not need/want to know what is going on under the hood and thus
> decreasing silly requests to the local help desk or from generating exscuses to not use this 'thing'. Second is to
> give the user the impression of a polished, whole, functional operating system that the user would want to use. Both
> of these examples give the operating system increased usability due to the fact that the user does not get hung up in
> 'what is all that stuff?' and just gets his/her work done. Just my two cents.
>
> Regards,
>     John P. Mitchell <john at cepros.com>
>     Email Sticker: My Boss is a Jewish carpenter
>     http://www.GoboLinux.org | User #00010110

A lot of those early kernel messages go by and I don't get a chance to
read it.  I would recommend suspending the graphical boot until
something more SuSE like can be done.  (Aside from the installer,)
nobody thinks SuSE is geek chic at all...

(On a side note, I think SuSE is messy crap, but they seem to have a
satisfactory boot.  :-)

Also, I'd like to see all messages saved to a file at boot...

Benjamin Vander Jagt <benjaminvanderjagt at adelphia.net>