custom package selection

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Thu Jul 24 16:04:49 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 05:44, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > It was removed in the interest of making the install simpler
> >
> > Grrrr .. this is a real PITA for packages that are not in any of the groups
> > such as the essential editors like joe 8)
>
> I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the severn installer has been
> dumbed down to the point that the only way to get a functional install that
> does what I want is to use kickstart

I dunno.

What's so important this is missing?

Personally, on desktops/laptops/etc I'll do an Everything install. I can
afford the $4.30 of disk space and so much package related trouble just
vanishes.

On servers, I'll still do the smallest possible install for the task it
needs to do.

How about this. Only show the individual packages if the user chooses a
"Custom" install.  On the other classes, don't show it.