RHL Severn - Initial Findings

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 29 17:42:17 UTC 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Barry K. Nathan wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 05:26:33PM +0100, Matthew Winter wrote:
> > did not show any messages. It said the disks were fine, so I went ahead
> > with the install. However when the installer got to disk 2, it would not
> > read one of the packages, which meant I had to exit at this point,
> > reburn the CD and try again. Luckily it worked OK the second attempt.
> >
> > Question : Why did the CD Check say there was nothing wrong with disk 2,
> > when clearly there was.

  here's what i've settled on as a technique for convenient installs.

  first, *if* you can arrange it on the system you're using, create a
separate partition, perhaps at the end of the disk (out of the way),
and download your ISO images there.  once they're there, and if you're
running on a current version of RH, you can mount them, poke around,
"md5sum" sum them to check their health, and so on.

  once you're set up like that, you can either create a boot floppy
or, alternatively, burn a copy of CD 1 and, when you start the install,
use

  boot: linux askmethod

select "hard drive" install, point the installation program at the
/dev/hdxy partition and directory the ISOs are in, answer all the standard
questions, and walk away.

  the benefits:

1) you can download, verify and examine the ISOs at your leisure
   before starting the install, so you *know* they'll be healthy,

2) you don't need to burn any physical CDs (except, possibly, for the
   first one just to start the install process)

3) you don't need to hang around and switch CDs -- the install program
   will automatically move from one ISO image to the next

4) chances are, the install might be faster than normal given hard drive
   speed versus CD speed (but no guarantees there)

  and once you've installed, you have permament access to the CD contents
by creating a number of directories as mount points and mounting the ISOs
using the loopback feature.  (i've actually added the mount points for the
ISOs into /etc/fstab so they're always available.)

  anyway, just my $.02.

rday