more system failures with Severn.... (on an Athlon)

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Jul 30 11:29:12 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:23:05AM +0300, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
> > I took a clue from Bill Nottingham who was responding to a message regading
> > kernel oopses with AMD's and the Taroon beta. Looks like the same case for
> > AMD and Severn...
> Mine has been rock solid (Athlon XP 2000, KT400)... Well not quite, I did
> have some serious nVidia-related stability problems. The fan on my
> GeForce 4 blew up, which made the chip blow up, which made the
Surprisingly the box started crashing with the Severn kernel yesterday
(pci=noacpi and acpi=off tried), vanilla 2.4.21 and 2.6.0-test2 are happy.
Somehow this started just after I upgraded nvidia drivers to the
one released a few days ago (although this happened even in text mode and
without nvidia.o ever being loaded). SysRq was the only thing that worked,
rpm -Uvh <a couple of packages> was a certain way of triggering it... No oops.

--
Pekka Pietikainen