bugs, bugs, bugs!

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Wed Jul 30 14:36:15 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 06:17:30PM -0400, Elton Woo wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 July 2003 17:35, Alan Cox Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Once a release is done is the time RFE's tend to get looked through in
> > detail. Obviously an RFE that reads ".. and I've been maintaining this
> > package on fedora for a year" is a great way to make your RFE popular 8)
>
> ... *or* "I've been REQUESTING this feature for the last three versions of
> Red Hat linux" ... would that also grab attention?

No, not really -- there are feature requests that some people have made
for the past three *years* (or more) that aren't there for a variety of
reasons that don't go away just because of the passing of time and of
releases.

The open development process doesn't mean that Red Hat starts taking on
loads more work -- we have already had lots of opportunities to collect
feedback on requests for features, and the purpose of this project is
not to collect more requests for features.  Rather, it is to allow some
like-minded developers and other community members to influence what is
going on by contributing to the process.  Don't get me wrong, a request
is still a contribution to the process, but that part of the process has
not changed from what we did before.  Practically speaking, maintaining
a package in fedora, as Alan suggests, is a really good first step and
will make an RFE more popular, and is fundamentally different from a
request.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/