Can we have g++/libstdc 32 packages

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 31 12:55:57 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 10:43, Mike Martin wrote:
>  --- Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> wrote: > On Wed, 30 Jul 2003,
> Mike Martin wrote:
> >
> > > This causes problems with packages that dont compile with 3.3
> >
> > Those packages need to be fixed.
> >

> yes - I know these packages should be fixed.
>
> BUT - it does put the user trying to compile software in a
> frustrating position especially when it relates to fairly important
> packages like gstreamer.

Then it's the responsibility of the package maintainers to fix the
software, or even it's the freedom of the user to debug the package and
submit a fix for it. Or would you rather maintain two complete
toolchains only not to have to fix some packages? Because it'd work like
that: package A doesn't compile with gcc-3.3, so users compile it with
3.2.x which in turn leads to package A not getting fixed, ...

I know it can be frustrating for the end user/builder, even more so if
package maintainers don't cooperate (e.g. mplayer vs. gcc-2.96), but I
would want more convincing reasons for maintaining a second toolchain
(not that I'm directly involved).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com