next up: trying to build/boot a 2.6.0-test[x] kernel

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 31 15:23:13 UTC 2003

** Reply to message from "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com> on Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:05:25 -0400 (EDT)

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>
> > Hello Robert,
> >
> > > if i tried building from stock
> > > source, neither a 2.6.0-test1 nor a 2.6.0-test2 kernel would boot --
> > > they would both freeze at the "Freeing unused kernel memory" line.
> >
> >  Did you try the suggestion by Jack Bowling to disable vfat mounts in
> > /etc/fstab? Or is that irrelevant to your setup?
>
> ironically, i had a vfat mount in /etc/fstab, but commenting that
> out didn't make any difference.
>
> i'm curious *how* it would have made a difference, since from
> what i can see, any mounting of vfat filesystems doesn't occur
> until later on in the boot process.
>
> very strange.
>
> at this point, i'm trying to clarify how to move over from
> /etc/modules.conf to /etc/modprobe.conf cleanly, since that
> appears to be the next obvious step with a 2.6.0 kernel.

I believe Bill Nottingham has already been over this on the list: if you want to play with the test kernels then you are going to have to massage the modprobe.conf yourself since there are currently no tools to do that for you. As you discovered, generate-modprobe only runs once when you install the latest modutils rpm to do the conversion. I suppose you could --force loading modutils after every tweak but that seems a bit heavyhanded.

jb