2.6.0- test2, getting sound to work?

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 31 15:28:04 UTC 2003

** Reply to message from Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks at rogers.com> on Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:15:26 -0400

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:35:34 +0100 (BST), you wrote:
>
> >I have had some fun with this - so I may be able to help
> >
> >questions
> >
> >1. what soundcard
>
> Soundblaster Live
>
> It works fine with the 2.4 kernel that comes with Severn but 2.6 just
> results in silence.
>
> >2. ISA/PCI
>
> PCI
>
> >3. Alsa or OSS
>
> Good question.  I assume with 2.6 I should be trying ALSA but I will
> take whatever will work.

2.6 defaults to ALSA which is supposed to have hooks for all the older OSS stuff. However, ALSA mutes most of the channels by default.

Go to a terminal and type alsamixer. Move through the channels with the left and right cursor keys and hit the spacebar to unmute the channels that you want open. ESC to save and exit. Should work after that.

The only thing that doesn't work for me with sound in the test kernels is the PC speaker and I can live without that ;))

jb