ok, graphical boot, one more time

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Sat Nov 1 01:23:26 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 09:41, nosp wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 17:35, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   all right, i have some intriguing observations to report.  but first, i
> > want to settle this "rhgb" boot-line option.  can someone point me to
> > where this option has any effect *at* *all*?

I have a RH9 upgraded system to FCT3, then full rawhide updates,
incremental since T3 release day when I upgraded. I haven't ever seen
rhgb work on this system, but was fairly certain it was due to the
upgraded (and highly modified / borked over system, still kinda acts
like redhat I suppose...) :D

The point here, is that many people are apparently still having issues
with rhgb, even those who are using the correct command line.  For this
reason I've shared this experiment, not because I think my system is a
proper test bed for this particular feature.  You can find my rc.sysinit
here to try it yourself, or modify yours alike (initscripts-7.42-1):
http://www.andrewfarris.com/fedora/rc.sysinit

I've added some simple echos to take a look at what is going on at this point in startup.
On my system /usr is indeed not mounted at the first 'rhgb startup' sequence, however
it is mounted before the second, and rhgb thinks it is running but no display change
occurs.  Only if I add the --force option to rhgb does it actually work, and then only
changes to a blank screen with default X cursor.  I have no doubt that fresh installs
are much better at this, but people do update afterall, and it doesn't quite work for me.

>[snip]
> >   there is, AFAICT, no test *anywhere* that looks for the option "rhgb" on
> > the boot line.
>
> I suppose it's magically happening then :).  What's wrong with your
> /etc/rc.sysinit?  Mine has the obvious test on line 91:
> --
> if fgrep rhgb /proc/cmdline > /dev/null 2>&1 && [ "$BOOTUP" = "color" -a
> "$GRAPHICAL" = "yes" -a -x /usr/bin/rhgb ]; then
>    /usr/bin/rhgb
>    RHGB_STARTED=1
> fi
> --
immediately following the above lines (in both locations in rc.sysinit)
I have:

[code]

## check rhgb failure?
echo -e "\nrhgb failure check:"
RHGBFILES="/usr/share/rhgb/fedora-logo.png
/usr/share/rhgb/large-computer.png /usr/share/rhgb/throbber-anim.png
/usr/bin/rhgb /usr/bin/rhgb-client"
echo -e "\trhgb files ( existence checked one at a time ):"
for rhgbfile in $RHGBFILES ; do
   if [ -e $rhgbfile ] ; then
      echo -e "\t\t$rhgbfile exists"
   fi
done

echo -e "\nrhgb:  bootup = $BOOTUP ; graphical = $GRAPHICAL ;
rhgb_started = $RHGB_STARTED"
if [ -x /usr/bin/rhgb-client ] && /usr/bin/rhgb-client --ping ; then
   echo "/usr/bin/rhgb-client --ping succeeded"
   echo -en "manually set rhgb details off:"
   if /usr/bin/rhgb-client --details=no ; then
      echo "succeeded"
   else
      echo "failed"
   fi
else
   echo "no /usr/bin/rhgb-client yet"
fi
echo -e "kernel commandline: `cat /proc/cmdline`\n"
## finished rhgb failure check

[/code]

which produces the following output the second time (first fails in on
all points, due to /usr not being available)

[code]
rhgb failure check:
        rhgb files ( existence checked one at a time ):
                /usr/share/rhgb/fedora-logo.png exists
                /usr/share/rhgb/large-computer.png exists
                /usr/share/rhgb/throbber-anim.png exists
                /usr/bin/rhgb exists
                /usr/bin/rhgb-client exists

rhgb:  bootup = color ; graphical = yes ; rhgb_started = 1
no /usr/bin/rhgb-client yet
kernel commandline: ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi vga=792
rhgb
[/code]

Not sure why it fails to start rhgb the second time, but because it does fail the
rhgb-client --ping fails as well.  So if you can't get rhgb to work for the life
of you.. plug that in there and see what she says.  Interesting to see anyway.
NOTE: you may want to download and copy out of my rc.sysinit, be careful of email
linebreaks that don't belong

(and if there are errors or invalid tests there,
point em out please, no real idea what I'm doing and just learning bash...)

Andrew Farris <fedora at andrewfarris.com>