OOo PPC suport. [patchset !!]

Balint Cristian rezso at rdsor.ro
Sat Nov 1 19:07:22 UTC 2003

On Saturday 01 November 2003 06:37, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Once upon a time at band camp Sat, 1 Nov 2003 1:58 pm, Balint Cristian wrote:
> > On Friday 31 October 2003 20:21, Balint Cristian wrote:
> > > Will be an openoffice.org for ppc too ?
> >
> > 	I have the full patch over .spec plus some ppc aware patches
> > wich make fedora's openoffice.org-1.1.0-4-src.rpm to build and work
> > for me on latest ppc-rawhide on my ibook.
>
> Just curious  how you installed on  a ppc machine. did you start with
> yellow dog and upgrade to rawhide via yum or is there ppc iso's out there?
> i have a 400mhz G3  with 420 MB ram  and have yellow dog on it currently
> but would love to put Fedora on it.  im thinking of setting rawhide to my
> yum.conf and running yum update.  what do you think?

	Yes, it is very possible, i have an poor ibook at 300Mhz and keeped up to date since
half year.
	Olso seen on redhat-mail lists guys who are using ppc rawhide tree in the past when was no such ting like fedora
was only the RH rawhide (check mailing list history).

	RH pack for IBM mainframes boxes thay are not aware of macs, but the tree is very
usable on macs too as userland.

> Matthias  just curious if your yellow dog packages will work with fedora?
> i guess they should.  any ideas on a good way to proceed?

Huhh, story, to clarify my HOWTO:

	Half year ago have YDL-2.? than step by step I rpm -Uvh (no yum/repos at that time) packages from
rawhide except these very mac specific packages:

kernel- (unexistent in rawhide)
initscripts-
gpm-
pmud- (unexistent in rawhide)

	In reset _everything_ is upgradable no YDL will broke if these 4 are kept original
and untouched from YDL.

	Now can't use yum, I am always afraid to not broke these 4 packages (practicaly 2->
initscript and gpm), i trick yum by pass exactly what want to update never do something like "yum update", olso
I selfmaintain gpm+initscripts by recompile it from YDL src.rpm but increase the version number
to trick yum (ugly dirty method), than i can "yum update" the whole and no breakage happen.

	If someone know how to config yum to not upgrade specific packages will be nice
will save from dirty thing !

	As last clarify, exept these two package i have no YDL originated .rpm on my mac,
i thing if want try Fedora i suggest to upgrade _everything_ not just half, i dont know
how will work with mixture of Fedora/YDL, big booboo will not be but something like
icon disapearing and menu disapearing in KDE stuff can happen.

You can start, play if want :)

Cristian.

PS:
	I forgot to suplly binary OOo-1.1.0-4.ppc.rpm's but intentionaly because of bandwith, if someone request,
tell me (it will take a while to upload somewhere), but latest rawhide is required otherwise not work !