e2fsadm missing

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Sat Nov 1 14:50:07 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 11:40, Peter Boy wrote:
> I just wanted to benefit from my lvm installation and resize some
> partitions. Using e2fsadm it told me "ext2online not found".
>
> Is there any specific reason not to include that tool in fedora?
> Otherwise, is it possible to add it?

"ext2online" is a tool to resize ext2/ext3 partitions while being
mounted (you have guessed this). This tools needs a patched kernel in
order to work properly -- the Fedora kernel doesn't contain this patch,
be it due to "this patch isn't stable enough or differently broken" or
"upstream doesn't have this patch, therefore we don't as well".

In order to use e2fsadm on a Fedora system, you have to umount the
volume in question, run e2fsadm, then you can mount it again.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com