How to Turn Off ECN [was: internet not working with arjan's 2.6 testkernels]

Paul Morgan paul.morgan at jumanjihouse.com
Sun Nov 2 18:43:03 UTC 2003

Tim Kossack asked:
>hm, i followed michael's advice (thank you very much) and at least my
>laptop is working now when i turn off ECN.
>however, it seems that i have to newly turn it off every time i
>reboot-is this normal?
>is there a way to switch it off forever?

Add the following line to /etc/sysctl.conf
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 1

RHL/Fedora reads this file on every startup and adjusts settings
accordingly. If you make changes to /etc/sysctl.conf, you can run
`sysctl -p` to force the system to re-read the file without a reboot.

As root you can run `sysctl -a | less` to read all about the other
settings available through this cool facility (such as for firewalls,
etc.). I prefer this as opposed to echoing to proc, but it may not be
portable to other flavors of Linux. sysctl.conf settings take effect
earlier than they would if placed in rc.local.

HTH,
Paul