Concerns about RedHat's email

Michael Colligan mcolligan at ma.rr.com
Tue Nov 4 04:59:51 UTC 2003

Sure, there will be plenty of packages and repositories but how well will they
be coordinated?  That's the problem I thought "fedora extras" was supposed to
cure.  "fedora extras" will not package a great number of packages people
will want for licensing/export reason reasons.  And many people prefer to
roll their own anyways.  Hence there will be other repositories as there has
been (Dag AT, freshrpms, ...).   The key is the coordination and elimination
of the duplication of efforts across the repositories.  No small feat.

I'll just stick with my compiler and somewhat looser "packaging mangement
system" but it would be a beautiful thing to see the repositories all work
together.

Sorry if I've missed some ongoing discussion about this on the mailing lists.

--

Michael Colligan
mcolligan at ma dot rr dot com