OT: DMA troubles with Via KT600 chipset & hitachi hard drive

Tom Georgoulias tom.georgoulias at motorola.com
Tue Nov 4 15:52:28 UTC 2003

Last night I was helping a friend get a new system set up with Red Hat
Linux 9 and noticed a problem that I was wondering if Fedora Core 1 will
resolve.  It seems kinda pointless to download fc1 test 3 and try it at
this moment in time, when the general release is just around the corner
and we're very likely to migrate to that.  So I thought I'd ask for
advice first.

While copying some RPMs from a CD to the hard drive, I noticed the copy
took a really long time and ran "hdparm -Tt /dev/hda" to see what the
transfer speeds were.  The buffered disk reads were somewhere in the
neighborhood of 7MB/s, which lead me to believe DMA wasn't on.  hdparm
and dmesg confirmed that.  I tried turning DMA on with hdparm to do some
more testing, but I got the error:

HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted

We're running the latest RHL9 kernel, 2.4.20-20.9, a Hitachi 60GXP
Deskstar drive, and using ATA-133 compatible cabling.  My suspicion is
the motherboard, a Gigabyte 7VT600-L based on the Via KT600.  I'm not
sure if the kernel we are using has support for a motherboard this new.
  Searching Google produced quite a few hits, but most were pretty old
and all seemed to suggest that IDE driver support was lacking in those
instances.  So my question is, will the new Fedora Core 1 kernel have
the support we need to get DMA working on this setup?

Thanks,
Tom
--
Tom Georgoulias