RH recommends using Windows?

Jason Montleon monty19 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:06:22 UTC 2003

To an extent I can understand what he is saying.  It's sort of the middle
ground from saying that Linux is [not] ready for the desktop.  On one hand
he is saying yes for the business it is.  For the home user maybe not.

And it's true.  You aren't gonna get iTunes or Napster 2.0 for Linux anytime
soon, you won't see Half Life 2, Lock On: Modern Air Combat, or Everquest II
released at the same time as the Windows versions, and let's face it; maybe
not for you, or me, or most technically inclined people, but it is harder to
set up than a Mac and therefore too difficult for many.  But you can get
you're productivity suite, browser, email client, etc.  So for many
businesses it will be plenty suitable.

This does leave the question of who the hell is supposed to use Fedora...  I
guess people like me who are willing to pay maybe $60 for an RHN account; if
that is still an option mind you, but not $179 for a RHEL WS license.  I
loved RedHat 5.2-9.0.  And the advnace it has made in that time is
borderline miraculous.  The stability has been second to none as well.  It
has been without a doubt more than adequate for running my personal 'server'
on, and has led me to push for adoption of Linux products including RHEL in
businesses.  My only hope is that RedHat doesn't make Fedora into the
bastard child not worthy of tinkering on, let alone running my PoS personal
server on, because then I will to a large degree fall out of touch, and then
I cannot recommend it on personal experience anymore.  But I am optimistic.