RH recommends using Windows?

nosp nosp at xades.com
Tue Nov 4 17:10:33 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 16:56, Albert DE WINT wrote:
> BTW, I've never been able to watch DVD 'out of the box', neither on
> Mandrake, nor on HD9.  I know it's a all just matter of plug-ins and
> codecs.  So, maybe I should try harder.  But that's exactly the point!

I agree, it's not easy to do without either 1) changing config files;
and/or 2) using software-of-questionable-legality-in-many-countries.
The first issue can be solved with better tools -- RH & Gnome tools are
going down that path quickly -- but the second is where our advocacy
time is best targeted IMHO.

Redhat's focus on the enterprise + support of Fedora + Fedora / Linux
community = device driver support will be sorted out (yes, corporate
users do use the new funky USB gadgets), but corporate users are just
going to license DVD and MP3 tools.  We need to fight for free
alternative like Ogg/Vorbis.