RH recommends using Windows?

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 4 19:28:41 UTC 2003

On November 4, 2003 01:18 pm, Noah Silva [Mailing list] , <"Noah Silva
[Mailing list]" <nsilva-list at aoi.atari-source.com>> wrote:

> Things that didn't or were a pain:
> a.) Lexmark printer (which officially "supports linux", but only through a
> very broken, outdated, buggy driver made for something like redhat 5).
> b.) Some noname USB scanner... I have.
> c.) My Webcam... there is linux support for it, but it isn't standard in
> redhat that it actually works without compiling things.

I respectfully suggest: you ought to check out hardware compatibility
before purchasing. There are innumerable sources, including linux
newsgroups, where you can get this information.

Would you normally buy a car or house, without doing some prior
'test drive' or verification of the premises? I used to make that
same mistake. Thankfully, I learned my lesson (under OS/2) so
that when I migrated to linux, I had already formed the habit of
*investigating* before handing over my dollars, escudos, krona,
whatever....

... and no, I don't consider myself 'superior to you' ... just a little
more experienced, and a "wary" shopper...

cheers,

Elton ;-)

"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.